Thursday, October 15, 2015

Spiritual Journey Thursday - Redemption


 I look forward to Thursdays when I can publish thoughts on my spiritual journey and hear the thoughts of others on a weekly theme topic.  It has become a space for an encouraging and fortifying community to come together.  We welcome anyone who would like to join us!
This week's theme is REDEMPTION.
 
The Seventh Most Important Thing
 
     Some of my favorite stories are about redemption and transformation.  I love the idea of second chances, hearing someone's backstory and feeling empathetic, making something beautiful out of something ugly or discarded, etc.  That is why I loved The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelley Pearsall.  I read it on the plane in one sitting on the way to visit my in-laws in Florida.  From Goodreads:
 
 It was a bitterly cold day when Arthur T. Owens grabbed a brick and hurled it at the trash picker. Arthur had his reasons, and the brick hit the Junk Man in the arm, not the head. But none of that matters to the judge—he is ready to send Arthur to juvie for the foreseeable future. Amazingly, it’s the Junk Man himself who offers an alternative: 120 hours of community service . . . working for him.

Arthur is given a rickety shopping cart and a list of the Seven Most Important Things: glass bottles, foil, cardboard, pieces of wood, lightbulbs, coffee cans, and mirrors. He can’t believe it—is he really supposed to rummage through people’s trash? But it isn’t long before Arthur realizes there’s more to the Junk Man than meets the eye, and the “trash” he’s collecting is being transformed into something more precious than anyone could imagine. . . .
 
     I won't give away what the Junk Man had up his sleeve, or exactly how Arthur's anger dissolved into forgiveness and a sense of purpose - I'll let you discover those things.  What I will tell you is that this book will make you feel hopeful and inspired.
 
    
 
       Of course, this brings me to the ultimate story of redemption and second chances.  We have been redeemed through Jesus Christ who somehow, some way loved us with enough compassion and ferocity in all our imperfections and shortcomings that He gave us all a second chance.  A hope for a purposeful, fulfilling, everlasting life with Him.  Thank you, Lord, for taking the broken, discarded, junky pieces of our lives and transforming them into a shiny masterpiece.
 

 
 

9 comments:

  1. Another beautiful post; another wonderful first post to set the stage for link ups. Was thinking when you sent the message that this week's topic was Redemption that is was such an apt follow-up to last week's Mercy; though I'm not sure which precedes the other or if both work in tandem...Anyway, thank you for sharing about the book; as I was reflecting in preparation for my post, I kept thinking how much I love Hallmark "chick flick" movies because they speak to me of redemption. (That's not what I wrote about, though.) God bless you for providing this community space to share, to encourage and to be encouraged on the journey. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting us every week, Holly! I chose the literary theme approach to interpreting Redemption as well. Your book teasers sound fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great song you found, Holly. "I am redeemed. You set me free." No matter how good a life we think we lead, we all need redemption for even the slightest transgressions. What an amazing story of transformation you showcased. Last night's yoga was filled with a spirit of letting go. Not sure what I am going to write about since I have a PD presentation tomorrow but I hope to be inspired by what everyone speaks about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, Carol recommended this spot to me and I am glad she did. It is a special place. I hope to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to read this one. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like it has a powerful message. I love the song too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a book to get! Thank you for sharing about it.
    Redeemed is one of my favorites. A song that say so much.
    I love "I Am Set Free" by All Sons and Daughters too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to order this one today. So many books, so little time, but you have sold me. Did you read Lost in the Sun? A similar theme in that the boy character does something he can't seem to forgive himself for. My post today is quick but not simple. I woke up from a nap yesterday afternoon and had to write the words. Some days are like that, a little beam of light shines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I compared it to Lost in the Sun on Goodreads - loved that one, too! Another similar one is Nickel Bay Nick. Heading to read yours now!

      Delete
  8. PS, please link this up with Literacy Musing Mondays. :) Here is this week's link:
    http://maryanderingcreatively.com/literacy-musing-mondays-importance-of-reading-for-writers/

    ReplyDelete